Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Call me Abraham Lincoln

Today, I introduced the penny. As you see, I was Abraham Lincoln.  This helped the kiddos to understand the concept pretty well.  It's when you throw in the other 3 coins that look very similar that you have confusion.  I used this penny poster  to introduce the coin.  We came up with these facts about the penny:

  • Abraham Lincoln is the president on the penny
  • The year the penny was made is on the front
  • The penny is brown or copper... (impressive)
  • It is worth one cent
  • You use the penny to buy or pay for things
Tomorrow, I will introduce a poem to go along with the penny.  Please allow your child to count pennies at home and even use pennies to buy something small at a store.  They are like sponges at this age.  Give them a reason to use the penny and they will learn what it is and how much it is worth really quickly.

P.S.  All of your children also had the chance to be Abraham Lincoln.  Pictures to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment